Hurt on Someone Else’s Property?

Curb broken in multiple pieces, causing a client to trip and fall

Owners are responsible for keeping their property – including curbs – unbroken and free of tripping hazards.

Injuries can occur unexpectedly, especially when you’re on someone else’s property. Known as premises liability cases, the consequences of an injury occurring on someone else’s property can be complicated.  It’s important to know your rights.

Premises Liability

Premises liability holds property owners, property managers, or tenants responsible to maintain a safe environment for those who come onto their property, and so they are also responsible for injuries that occur on their property. This duty extends to all types of properties, including single-family homes, apartment complexes, retail buildings, and public spaces, including sidewalks.

There are various types of premises liability cases:

Slip and fall accidents occur when someone slips and falls due to a wet or icy walking surface. In a recent case, our client slipped and fell due to an apartment complex failing to de-ice its parking lot. In another case, our client slipped and fell on spilled liquid in a grocery store aisle while shopping.

Trip and fall accidents occur when someone trips and falls due to an obstacle or on another type of unsafe surface, such as an  uneven sidewalk or a raised concrete slab. We’ve represented clients who have tripped and fallen due to a piece of rebar protruding from a sidewalk, and due to a curb being broken into multiple pieces.

Dog bite claims occur when owners do not control their pets or prevent them from harming/biting others. Dog bites can lead to serious injuries, as well as legal consequences for the pet owner as dictated by Washington law.  In other words, dog owners are responsible for the victim’s injuries, regardless of the dog owner’s intent – provided that the person bitten did not provoke the dog and if they were somewhere they were allowed to be when they were bitten.

If you’re injured in a premises liability case, seek medical help for your injuries immediately.  It is important that you notify the property owner or manager about the accident as soon as possible, ask them to complete an incident report, and request a copy.

If possible, take photos of the accident scene, including any hazardous conditions that caused your injury. In many instances, property owners, managers, or tenants will repair or remove the hazardous condition that caused your injury after hearing about your incident. In addition, get contact information from any witnesses.

Hiring a Yakima Personal Injury Attorney

Finally, consult with a knowledgeable attorney who can help you understand your rights and options, gather and preserve evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and file a lawsuit when necessary. Contact Abeyta Nelson Injury Law for a free, no obligation review of your case today. You’ll never pay an attorney fee unless we win your case.

-written by attorney Devon R. Nikfard, Abeyta Nelson Injury Law

Last : If You’re Hurt Due to the Fault of a Family Member Next : Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury Lawsuits